Sunday, July 19, 2009

7/19/09

The weather isn't cooperating at all. The waves are 6-10 feet the last couple of days. The #1 slot swimmer ended up not making it Thursday. She fell 1/2 mile short. It was disappointing that I didn't get to go. Mo, a swimmer from Ireland did make it and the conditions were ideal. The worst part of it was the swimmer was from London and could have come to Dover anytime to swim the Channel. I really wish she would have given me the slot since I came such a long distance.

Mo was in the forth slot but her captain moved her up because she came from a longer distance. Enough of that because it's over and done with. I'm looking at a possible swim Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. That would be 2 a.m. Chicago time. If that doesn't happen then the next possible window moves to the weekend. The weather really is bad. I was prepared for cold water, the distance, etc. but not in the fact I may not get a chance.

I've spoken to numerous swimmers who have had the same thing happen. Chris from Ireland didn't get a chance last year and here he sits in the same position again. Several swimmers are leaving Tuesday because they can't stay. Mary and Ray, along with Mike will return and I will stay. This is a real test mentally to stay focused and not get to down. On top of waiting, I don't have my office here so working is quite tough to do.

Well, that's the update. Pray Tuesday opens up and I get my chance.

JM

3 comments:

  1. John,

    Sitting here at Sunday dinner with Susan and members of her family. Sounds like a tough gig, but you've seen a lot of obstacles in your life and overcome them.

    Just keep believing and smiling like you always do. You're an inspiration in numerous ways and courage is just a small part of your total package.

    Wishing you well for Tuesday!



    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay focus'd. We're all pulling for you here in Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go John!! - found the good news somewhere else online. 13 plus - look forward to the details.

    ReplyDelete