Monday, July 13, 2009

Today is Monday the 13th. I've been here for three days and it has already been an experience. Dover is quite old with much history. The Catholic church dates back to the 1200's. Unbelievable, this church was built 250+ years before Columbus discovered America. The Fort on top of the Cliffs of Dover is amazing. It has defended the area against many threats to include the possible invasion by Napoleon. Dover and the harbor were bombed by Germany during WW II. There is still evidence from that yet today.

The first night I arrived I went down to the Dover Harbor. There wasn't anyone there and I entered the water- intimidated. The water is dark and the salt heavy. Just outside the breaker wall the waves were 4-5 feet. It was a real wake up call to the fact the Channel is a powerful body of water. After an hour, I completed the training swim and felt very comfortable with the water temp. Intimidated no longer!

Saturday and Sunday I swam with Maureen (from Ireland) and Mark (from San Diego). They are staying at the Victoria House as well. Bill and Audry(0wners of the Victoria House) have made our stay comfortable and are really nice people. They have seen quite a few English Channel Swimmers through the years stay at their Guest House. The History on the walls motivates you to want to have your successful crossing displayed on the wall. We swam with the Channel association swimmers on Saturday and Sunday. A nice group of people. Many of them have crossed the Channel. One interesting and nice lady is Freda Streeter. Her daughter Allison is the queen of the English Channel, doing over 40 singles, a double and triple. Freda offers sound advise as well as the other successful swimmers. It's really nice that they offer advise and really do want to see you make your crossing.

Mike Carson who is going to be on board with me arrived Saturday and he is ready to go. All supplies are packed and I'm now waiting for the phone call to tell me LETS GO! After two training days I know that I'm ready physically, mentally and above all comfortable with the water temperature. The one fact I've come to realize is that great swimmers have come here to swim the English Channel and failed. The English Channel has an inviting appeal to it but the power of the English Channel and the weather conditions are key to one's successful completion.

Mary and little Ray are here as well. Mary has been very supportive and Ray has been a gem. He traveled on the plane like a pro and has been excellent throughout the day and night. Kate, Joe, Caroline, Beth, Dan and Mike are with me in my heart. They couldn't come because of their activities, school, work, etc. that they have going on. I wish they were here.

I've met 8 swimmers( all very capable to swim the distance) here from all around the world. We all have our windows of opportunity over the next 7-8 days. We are all facing one realization. We most likely aren't going to get favorable conditions this week. The water temp isn't the problem. It's the wind and the waves created. It now looks like Thursday night or the weekend will be my best opportunity. By the weekend I will know if I will stay on next week trying to still get a chance. I hope I get to swim while Mary, Mike and Ray are here. I've trained very hard and I really want the chance to succeed. No matter what, once my Boat pilot and I decide it's the best window of opportunity I have, I will give it my all. Having the time to rest and know before hand about the upcoming weather has been a good thing. The more I think about it the more I can prepare myself for the conditions. The English Channel is going to test me for sure. What an interesting time it will be! I will update the Blog when I get further information from my Boat Captain.

JM

1 comment:

  1. A bag of potato chips on me when you get back - but only if you make it! Seriously - good luck!

    ReplyDelete